Lisa Whiteman | Jan 25, 2020 | 0
Citrus and Coconut Slice
A delicious and nutritious raw treat that is super simple to make – nothing could be better!
1 cup Almonds or almond meal. Or you can use a mix of nuts including pistachio, brazil, hazelnuts, cashews. (not peanuts though, as they are legumes NOT NUTS)
1 ½ cups dates warmed in the microwave to soften
2 whole lemons (or other citrus)
1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- In a food processor with a blade attachment, blitz the nuts until fine (skip this step if you are using almond meal alone)
- Grate the citrus zest and add to the processor along with 3 TBSP of juice (save remaining juice if you need to add some later to help bind the slice
- Add the warmed dates and blitz the whole lot together until it has formed a ball. You may find that you need to stop the processor and scrape down the sides of the mixer bowl a few times while the mixture is combining.
- Add most of the coconut, leaving enough to press into the top of the slice, and pulse to combine. Scrape the sides again as necessary.
- Check that the mixture is soft and dough like to hold together and form a ball. If not add a little more lemon juice and mix.
- Place the mixed ingredients into a lined baking tray and press down to around 10 mm thick.
- Sprinkle the remaining coconut over the slice. Place a piece of cling wrap over the top and press down firmly again so the coconut will stay in place when the slice is cut into squares.
- This mix can also be rolled into balls which are rolled in fine coconut to coat, if preferred.
- Refrigerate for 1 hr before cutting in squares.
All BEing recipes follow the principles of gluten free, grain free, paleo and keto eating. We believe that good food promotes good health and is a cornerstone to a happy life.